These are Carol BonteKoe's Peace Corps Adventures

Monday, July 10, 2006

so far...

Well, I'm in Kyrgyzstan... finally! When I first arrived in Philadelphia I was able to spot other trainees in the airport because they all had the heavy sicker attached to their luggage, they looked desheveled, and like they just needed someone to tell them wehre to go. I was able to ride over to the airport with two other trainees Chris and Brandon. Everyone in the group is so accomplished people have traveled to amazing places and done some amazing stuff. The staging part in Philadelphia was mostly meetings and them telling us we need to be culturally sensitve and what not. It was two straight days of traveling from Philadelphia to Kyrgyzstan. Everyone eventually lost track of what day and time it was. ONe guy accidently didn't have a ticket to Bishkek so we eneded up leaving him in London! He is here now but is a whole day behind which at this point is a lot.

When we got here they put us into two busses. They were awesome. They were total left overs from the Soviet Era. I loved them they had a T.V. on them with turn knobs and beige curtains and were painted red. And then the seats looked like the couches that everyone's Grandma's had. You knwo the orange ones they bought in the 70's and still have!

Kyrgyzstan is so beautiful. Snow capped mountains and tons of Burch trees. But then there are tons of run down factories and eveything too. The mark of a former soviet country abandoned factories and tall ugly concrete buildings. One of the othr Trainees had the perfect way of describing it. Kyrgyzstan is a National Park meets an Industrial Park.

I haven't eaten much because... well I'm going to have to suck it up and eat it once I get hungry enough. For our first breakfast they had this stuff that looks like Cottage Cheese but tastes and smells like bread. Also, there was frmented Mare's milk. I don't like Milk to begin with so that was challenging. Every meal includes about 5 coarses for lunch yesterday I was fine after soup and"salad"(The salad was 2 pieces of old lettuce any vegtable they could find and lots of meat fat). I figure there will come a point that I get so hungry I will eat anything.

We have already had one language class. I got put into the russian group. It is cool because when I'm done I can travel to 15 countries without troubles if I can speak Russian, but it will be hardr to fit into the country because forgieners always speak Russian and they respect people who learn Kyrgyz more. I will be getting picked up by my Host Family soon. I have been desperately trying to remember the formal way of say hello so they don't think I'm stupid. But I pronounce it differently every time.
strast-voo-tyah
zdraz-tvoo-tyah
zdrazt-voot-yah
I need to learn... I am desperately trying!!!
Hopefully they will like me and really help me learn the language.
I did learn how to spell my name in Russian.
кэрол
So one step at a time!
Well, I gotta go buy some flowers for my Mama.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, I am very excited to hear that you are there and that things are going well for you! I am praying for you girl! I miss you lots! E Lan won't be the same this year, but know that if you need something, let us know! You are a blessing Carol. Keep searching The Source for love and answers! Much love dear!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well I’m glad to hear you got there ok. When I was reading about your food, I saw the word cottage cheese. At first I was thinking, I like cottage cheese so it’s not too bad, then I continue to see it is not cottage cheese but some weird bread substance, which is obviously not so tasty. Hopefully you will eventually enjoy the food or maybe your host mama will be a great cook, you never know. My friend was telling me that when this girl lived in Russia her mom would put some vodka in her cereal to keep her warm on her walk to school; so if your milk tastes funny in the morning, it might just have a little something extra for you to enjoy lol. Anyways I hope your having fun, it sounds like you are. Hopefully you will have good access to the Internet so you can keep writing. I look forward to your next message, good luck with the Russian!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Carol. Hope all is well. Take care of yourself!!! Love learning about your travels. Exciting because I don't think I could do it!!!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like your journey has started off well. You're name is Russian looks crazy, but awesome! Keep filling us in and good luck!
-Lauren McCabe

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your host family will love you, I'm sure of it! You are a cool girl and hey...you've got a good track record of making friends with cool people... ;) Looking forward to your blogs and like everyone else, missing you already...

Mary Ann

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crunchy's is not the same without you. I attempted to do 2 Karaoke songs last friday, and I got cut off because I was so bad :-(... I ate some cajun fries in your honor though! We all miss you. Hope the food situation gets better.

-Sam

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetness, it all sounds so cool...minus the food, of course but hopefully you will get used to it. I'll be sure to keep that in mind when sending you schtuff. Your name looks cool in another language, too. I hope all is going well with your new family, and don't forget to go get your man!!! ;) Miss u!

Cait :D

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carol!! I am glad you made it to Kyrgystan safe and sound! Good luck and keep in touch!! Hope to hear from you soon!

JENNY JO

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home