These are Carol BonteKoe's Peace Corps Adventures

Sunday, September 03, 2006

where is the weirdest place you have taken a shot of vodka?

Looking out over the snow capped mountains, holding a tomato in one hand and a vodka shot in the other I thought is this really what my life has come to? Oh, did I mention I was standing in a Russian Orthodox Cementary?
We went on our permnant site visits this past week, and my first day I met a German Girl who was guesting at our house. Because my language skills aren't the best I was in the middle of cooking and then abruptly put into a car. I'm sure someone said we were getting in the car and going to the cemetary. The German girl was visiting because her sister had recently passed away and she wanted to see where she was buried.
The cememtary is full of little tables, and I'm assuming it is a Russian thing to take shots in a cemetary. They pulled out a brand new bottle of vodka, tomatoes, and bread. See Russians don't do the Coca-Cola and juice chasers. It is normally some kind of vegtable, that day it was a tomato. Peace Corps trains us in all different types of situations where you will be forced to drink, the cemetary was never one of them. I couldn't turn it down being afraid that it would dishonor the dead. They first poured out the first shot poured it over her grave. Then we all took one, said a little prayer and took the shot. I have never been a shot taker myself so I didn't know if making a face would be bad so when I took it I popped my tomato into my mouth as fast as I could looked out over the sun setting behind the mountains and said another prayer.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you are an absolute trooper! Glad you didn't disrespect the dead. How was the tomato? :-P
Still missing u like crazy. I passed by Marion while driving up north this weekend. I poured a shot of vodka on the ground for you as we passed by.
I've got a couple of photos for us on my myspace page, you should jon again! :)
Also, what do you think about the following dates for me to come see you in Kyrgysztan?: Thursday, July 5th to Monday, July 9th.
Let me know cause I'm hoping to come see you on your new stomping grounds!!!
Miss you!
Cait :D

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant *join*, not *jon.* That makes no sense! :-P

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Carol... Checking your blog everyday, and pouring out a shot of vodka here in Whitewater, Wisconsin for you, too... well, okay, probably mead.... well, okay, probably more than a shot. Hail Carol, Kyrg adventurer!

Erica's Mom

8:48 AM  
Blogger Toohottomandle said...

I really like that story. I unlike the others will be pouring a shot of tequila on the ground...wait no, probably just in my mouth because I can't waste...you know how I do :)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Toohottomandle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,
ugh being without a computer has put me quite behind in your blog readings, but alas I am here. This story is amazing. I really enjoyed reading it and it made me miss you. I will pour a shot of smirnoff on your old bedroom floor in your name, but I don't think Sandeep would go for that.
Still missing you like crazy!
~Slutz

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home